Whether you want to feel more comfortable in your skirts and dresses or want to prevent thigh chafing, shorts under dresses are a total game changer.
In fact, I’m not sure why it took me SO long to come around to this idea!
My 6-year-old always wears these little shorts under her skirts and dresses so she can run around and do all the things little girls do.
One day, I wondered why I didn’t partake in this kind of freedom and it dawned on me that I, too, should be wearing shorts under my dresses!
I’ve definitely fallen victim to getting caught unexpectedly out with a giant gust of wind leaving me frantically pulling my skirt down.
So, I ordered some slip shorts to try and find the absolute best shorts to wear under dresses.
Whether you’re looking for a more supportive feel, want to sit criss-cross applesauce without stressing, or you struggle with sweat and thigh chafing in the summer, a pair of seamless shorts to wear with your skirts and dresses will change the game.
Here are the absolute best shorts to wear under dresses.
Thigh Society Shorts
Thigh Society specializes in shorts to wear under dresses, so it’s no real surprise that these shorts topped the list of the best!
These slip shorts come in a number of size and style options. You can choose from:
- The Cooling
- The Staple
- The Original
- The Cargo
- The Cotton
All of them are made of breathable materials so it really comes down to personal preference as some will be much thinner/sheerer than others.
I really love that you can not only choose the style but they also come in several colorways and a variety of lengths.
The Cooling are my personal favorite as just like the name suggests, they’re quite cooling. If you live someplace hot like I do or someplace muggy, these are definitely worth a look.
While the shorts are a bit on the sheer side, they do the job to prevent chafing and just make you feel a bit less exposed in your skirts and dresses. They have a moisture wicking fabric and are an extra soft material and since they’re semi-sheer, you don’t have to worry about underwear lines.
The elastic band is also basically invisible, making these easy to layer under anything.
As far as length, the 5” was perfect for me and I found the 7” to be a little too long for the majority of my skirts and dresses.
If you want a little extra coverage then The Cotton may suit you best.
These anti-chafing slip shorts are more similar to spandex shorts but are still a great option to wear under short dresses.
This 4-pack of slip shorts from Amazon is an excellent budget buy. This was the first pack of shorts I bought for this review and they definitely do the job.
The shorts come in a multi-color pack (variety of nudes) or you can choose from all-black or other mixed color options. These do run true to size (check the size chart) and were a good fit on the waist as well as the length.
You won’t have to worry about them slipping either and for less than $25 for a pack of four, the price is really hard to beat.
I wore these on a recent trip to Disneyworld under my skirt so I would be more comfortable going on rides. They performed really well in muggy Florida and I didn’t have to stress about an accidental exposure!
If your theme park outfit includes a dress or skirt, shorts to layer underneath are the perfect solution.
These shorts aren’t as thin as a true slip short and not as sheer, you can barely see my hand underneath the short in this photo.
That being said, theyre’ not as thick as a typical short either. If you’re looking for something in between, this may be a good option.
Spanx Thinstincs 2.0 Mid-Thigh Short
If you’re wanting shorts to wear under a dress or skirt for additional compression or tummy control, then definitely check out the Spanx Thinstincs 2.0 mid-thigh short.
At just under $60, these are definitely on the pricier side but they aren’t just a slip short, these are more of a shapewear option.
The Spanx shorts come in black, and three nude-tone shades. Sizes are pretty inclusive as well and go from XS-3X.
They also have pretty rave reviews with some shoppers saying they stay in place and provide just the right amount of smoothing. If you’re looking for the best compression shorts to wear under dresses, these are a great choice.
Another brand that specializes anti-chafing shorts is Undersummers with their line of shortlettes.
- Crafted with Quality: Our classic Shortlette slip shorts for under dresses, made in the USA, feature a silky soft combination of polyester and spandex, helping ensure not only durability and comfort but also embody strength to support you every step of the way.
- Self-Love Embraced with Slip Shorts: Experience self-love and confidence with our slip shorts for women under dresses. Slip into our shorts that help provide solutions for every body type and embrace the freedom to move, feel beautiful, and love yourself unapologetically.
- Comfortable All Day, Every Day: Our slip shorts for women under dress redefine comfort. The shorts are meticulously designed with lightweight, soft, and stretchy fabric that feels silky against the skin. From work to special events, our breathable under dress shorts for women help ensure you stay comfortable and confident all day.
- Thigh Anti Chafe Shorts: Our no roll waist anti chafing shorts women help avert chafing while providing a chic and comfortable solution. Elevate your comfort level with our shorts for under dresses, an ideal choice for anti-rubbing thigh shorts for women to wear under skirts or dresses.
- Wide Range of Sizes: We have a size range that accommodates every woman. Our plus-size design of shorts under dress for women helps ensure that you can find the perfect fit. Whether you wear a regular size or plus size, we have sizes from small to 4X. Celebrate your shape with confidence, as we redefine fashion with a focus on providing the ideal fit for everybody.
The Undersummers Fusion Shortlette comes in a range of styles, lengths and colorways. The classic moisture-wicking short is the most popular and size-inclusive, ranging from small to 5X.
These are high-waisted shorts, so keep that in mind.
The fabric is cool and breathable and while these shorts don’t provide any compression, they do have a no-roll waistband. These hug and protect your thighs providing a snug fit without uncomfortable friction.
You may be wondering: Do I really need anti-chafing slip shorts or can I just wear bike shorts or yoga shorts under dresses?
I mean, you can. But it won’t nearly be as comfortable as a pair of lightweight shorts.
Biker shorts are meant for biking. They’re typically thicker than the slip shorts in this roundup, so they may be visible in those light summer dresses.
Because the waistband is also thicker, they may be a little uncomfortable to layer under skirts since you’ll have the skirt elastic laying on top of your bike shorts.
And while bike shorts are typically made of moisture-wicking fabric, they can be bulky for everyday wear and won’t be invisible when layering under tight dresses.
Other Things to Prevent Thigh Chafing
Beyond just shorts to wear under dresses, there are some beauty products you can also try to help prevent thigh chafing-thigh chafing sticks!
Here are a few top sellers to check out:
- Additional ingredients to help hydrate skin and retain moisture. Rich in Vitamins A, B, E, and F.
- Apply before you put on clothes, on inner thighs, around (sports) bra, wherever skin is sensitive to rubbing
- Made with allergen free, plant-derived ingredients. Vegan approved, never tested on animals. Child safe.
- Effective and longlasting for daily use in demanding conditions. No petroleum, lanolin or mineral oils.
- Keeps pores clog free. Sweat escapes and lets skin breathe. Clothing, footwear and wetsuit safe.
- Includes one (1) 1.75-oz. Gold Bond Friction Defense Stick With Aloe
- Gold Bond Friction Defense Stick reduces friction and comforts skin
- This easy application stick reduces friction while moisturizing and soothing skin
- Gold Bond Friction Defense Stick is nongreasy, unscented and gentle on sensitive skin
- This easy to use stick can be applied liberally to affected areas as needed for friction defense
- Anti Chafing Stick – Apply Before You Get Dressed, On Thighs, Neck, Arms, And Anywhere Skin Is Rubbed
- Made With Allergen Free, Plant-Derived Ingredients; Vegan Approved, Never Tested On Animals; Child Safe
- The Preferred Choice Over Messy, Wet Creams, Gels And Powders; No Petroleum, Lanolin Or Mineral Oils
- Effective And Longlasting; Use Daily In Humid And Dry Conditions For A Pain Free Active Life
- Keeps pores clog free. Sweat escapes and lets skin breathe; Clothing, footwear and wetsuit safe
- THIGHS GLIDE, NOT RUB – Swipe on Thigh Rescue to create a friction-free barrier on skin to prevent chafe, blisters, irritation, and painful rash before it happens.
- CLEAN, SKIN-LOVING FORMULA – Natural ingredients like aloe, pomegranate & grapeseed oil work to soothe, moisturize & protect chafe-prone skin. Free of aluminum, parabens, phthalates & sulfates. Featuring a fresh, barely-there citrusy scent
- DERMATOLOGIST & GYNECOLOGIST APPROVED – Thigh Rescue is Dermatologist and Gynecologist approved, ensuring its safety and effectiveness for your skin. Plus, it’s versatile and can be used all over your body to protect any areas prone to friction and discomfort!
- ALL OVER RELIEF – Use anywhere chafe is an issue! Ideal for bra straps that rub, waistbands that dig or shoes that blister (ie, anywhere skin is sensitive to rubbing!)
- NO-MESS APPLICATION – The portable balm stick is easy to apply and does not feel greasy or sticky on skin. The only thing you’ll notice is the smooth, friction-free glide! Thigh Rescue is also award-winning, Winner of 2021 Allure Best of Beauty Award, Winner of 2020 Allure Best of Beauty Award, and Winner of 2020 Into The Gloss 25 Best Products of the Decade.
- THE ATHLETE’S SOLUTION: Squirrel’s Nut Butter is an athlete tested salve shown to prevent chafing and blisters – this 2.7 oz stick makes for waterproof and mess free application, so you can put all your energy into elevating your fitness level
- ALL NATURAL REMEDY: Child safe and never tested on animals – our salve is born from coconut oil, cocoa butter, beeswax and vitamin E oil to give you the most natural prevention and alleviation for even the most sensitive skin
- REMARKABLE COMFORT: Whether you’re cycling trails, climbing cliffs, hiking canyons, or running coasts, avoid the hang ups– apply the Anti Chafe Stick on thighs, neck, arms, and where skin is rubbed
- MULTI PURPOSE SALVE FOR EVERYONE: Awarded “Best in Category” by UltraRunning Magazine
- POST RACE: Use Squirrel’s Nut Butter salve before showering to sooth skin
I hope this post has helped you find the perfect pair of shorts to wear under dresses! Have you tried any of these options before? Let me know in the comments!