Well, you’ve heard the news: skinny jeans are out and mom jeans are in!
Honestly, mom jeans have been around for quite a while. In fact, they’ve pretty much become a wardrobe staple at this point.
While skinny jeans will always have a place in your wardrobe, a great pair of high-waist jeans is flattering and fashion-forward.
If baggy mom jeans is what first comes to mind don’t fret; there are tons of different styles to choose from like a loose fit, relaxed fit, tapered leg or an early 90s look (I’m looking at you, acid wash jeans!)
Generally speaking though, it’s more of a relaxed look and typically involves high-rise jeans.
Feeling intimidated? These mom jeans outfit should inspire you to try something new this season. After all, it’s one of the biggest fashion trends of the year! And, they’re comfortable, too.
If you have never tried out mom jeans or would like some ideas on how to wear them, keep reading!
How to Wear Mom Jeans in the Spring
Try: Light Layers & a Shacket
When spring arrives, you immediately will want to ditch the dark colors. So grab a lighter wash mom jean and bust out the layers since it can still be cool out!
This look by ProperLush is an easy way to layer with pieces you probably already have in your wardrobe.
A plain white t-shirt can be effortless with a pair of light wash distressed mom jeans and sneakers. The overall look is casual and comfortable, perfect for everyday wear!
A utility jacket, or this season’s shacket, is an easy way to incorporate light layers. Utility jackets are a great staple item for your closet and this cream-colored one is a great neutral to have.
Loving this pair of ripped mom jeans? Here is how to recreate this look.
Shop Similar Jeans
- MATERIAL - Fabric has no stretch, soft and comfortable, recommend washed in cold water, not bleaching.
- FEATURES - High waist, ripped holes, distressed boyfriend jeans, basic 5 pockets, zipper closure, frayed bottoms, baggy mom jeans, causal loose denim pants.
- OCCASIONS - Perfect for casual daily, school, work, office, street, shopping, travel, lounge, going out. Suitable for spring, fall, winter.
- STYLE - Great to match with t-shirts, blouse, sweatshirt and pair with sneakers, high heels, ankle booties or sandals.
- SIZE - S=US(4-6), M=US(8-10), L=US(12-14), XL=US(14-16); Please refer detailed size chart in the picture before ordering.
Shop Similar Jacket (Check Print)
- ❤No Liner, If it makes you not comfortable, you can match it with the long sleeve shirt underneath
- Please size up one size if you want the oversized fit
- 2 chest flap pockets and 2 hand pockets, turn down collar, single button cuffs, round hem, soft fabric, checked pattern
- Vintage classical fashion timeless long sleeve button-down boyfriend style woolen tartan flannel jackets tops
- Pefect for autumn spring daily work outdoor indoor hiking shopping walking dating travel holiday vacation home street wear
How to Wear Mom Jeans in the Spring and Summer
Try White Wash Mom Jeans
One of my favorite ways to wear mom jeans in the summer is to opt for white denim. A lot of people can get nervous about white jeans, but a crisp pair looks so modern and fresh!
A simple muscle tank is right on-trend and so easy to recreate. This particular jean style is more of a straight leg so it’s a great jean to start with if you’re just dipping your toe into the mom jeans trend.
Love this look? Let’s recreate it:
Shop Similar Jeans
- You might also like the “505 Straight”
- Mid Rise: Sits at waist
- Easy through hip and thigh
- Inseam: 30" (Short); 32" (Medium); 34" (Long)
- Front Rise: 9 3/4"; Back Rise: 15 1/4"; Leg Opening: 14 1/2"
Shop Similar Top
- Material: 95% Cotton +5% Polyester. Light Weight Soft Cotton Breathable Stretchy Fabric Material.
- Bust: (S)38.61~41.73”, (M)40.17~43.29”, (L)41.73~44.85”. More size information please refer to the size chart in the product description.
- Design: Crew Neck, Sleeveless, Shoulder-Padded, Tie- Dye Color, Loose Style, Women Casual Summer T-Shirt Tops, Cotton Fashion Tank Tops. Versatile Style, Match with any Casual Pants, Jeans, Shorts, Skirts and Leggings.
- Feature: High-grade Cotton Material, Fashion Shoulder-Padded Special and Elegant Design. Cute Cool Casual Summer Blouse Tops, Suitable for Date, Streetwear, Holiday, Work, Party or Daily wear.
- Care: Hand Wash Recommend Separately in Cold Water and Hang Dry
How to Wear Mom Jeans in the Fall
Trench Coat and Boots
Just because the weather has got a bit colder, doesn’t mean you have to forget about style. Mom jeans are essential in your closet as they can be worn all-year-round!
I love how emilylucyrajch has put together her outfit. She has gone for a light blue wash of mom jeans and tucked them into a classic black boot.
Also notice how her jeans are slightly rolled at the bottom so you can see where the boot meets her jeans.
A solid color top layered with a cute jacket completes this look that’s effortlessly stylish yet fashion-forward.
Get the Look:
Shop Similar Jeans
- Women's high waisted skinny jeans with Elegant fashion element make you looks younger and more sexy
- Size available: ★US 0-14 ★. About the detail of size info, Please double check the SIZE CHART on the left pictures before purchasing to ensure accurate fitting.
- FEATURES: Basic 5 pocket design, Zip fly with button closure, Soft and comfortable
- Simple,stylish,Skinny-fit jeans,which is perfect for boots and T-shirts,looks more youngful, relaxed, sexy and beautiful.
- HIGHT QUALITY: 100% Quality Assurance by Sorrica. "Sorrica" Owns Its Own Trademarks.The Serial Number: 87140861.
Shop Similar Trench Coat
- This water resistant trench coat is crafted from water-repellant cotton-blend fabric, perfect for rainy days
- Features a button-front, notched collar and lapel, a self-tie fabric belt, side-slit pockets and a back vent
- Everyday made better: we listen to customer feedback and fine-tune every detail to ensure quality, fit, and comfort
Mom Jeans: How to Wear in Winter
When it comes to wintertime, you need to stay warm but still look on-trend. The easiest way to do this is with cozy layers, of course! A simple sweater + a cute trench coat is all you need to pull off this look. If it’s really cold where you live, layer a white T-shirt or button-down underneath.
For winter, it’s nice to get out your dark wash jeans. Black is also a great option and they also look fantastic with boots, and I’m really loving this pair of combat boots.
RELATED: How to Wear Combat Boots
This look is neutral, warm and feels classic yet fashion-forward.
As well as wearing mom jeans throughout the year, you can also style them for any occasion. To show you just how versatile mom jeans can be, I’ve popped below how you can dress up and dress down the staple item in your closet!
Shop Similar Jeans
- High rise, slim fit
- Authentic non-stretch denim
- Iconic mom jean fit, easy to dress up or down
- Measurements taken from size 27; Waist 28", Front Rise 12", Inseam 32", Leg opening 12"
- Style RSADM304W
Shop Similar Boots
- Original Dr. Martens boot, built for a woman
- Made with all the classic Doc's DNA, including grooved sides, heel-loop and yellow stitching
- Built on the iconic Dr. Martens air-cushioned, with good abrasion and slip resistance
- Airwairs original signature leather: a firm, finished leather with a smooth, semi bright appearance.
Can You Wear Mom Jeans Over 30?
Absolutely–I sure do!
I love to wear these Levi’s jeans paired with a simply bodysuit and ankle booties in the fall.
Come spring and summer, you can still wear this look but with a lighter-colored bodysuit and cute sandals instead.
How to Dress Up Mom Jeans
Try Black Mom Jeans
Think you can’t dress up mom jeans? Think again! A pair of black mom jeans paired with cute high heels and a belted chic blazer is fashion-forward.
If you don’t own a blazer like this you can recreate the look with a black fitted top tucked in or a longer, fuller blouse tucked out and belted.
All-black everything looks so good on a night out! This will look cool and also a little bit flirty, especially with a lower neckline.
Shop Similar Jeans
- YOU WANT IT? YOU GOT IT? The women's jeans you love are right here: all cotton, no stretch. Original Lee Relaxed Fit: sits at the waist with a straight leg silhouette, relaxed through the seat and thigh. 100% cotton denim for a hearty, no-stretch feel
- STYLISH DESIGNS: Lee's full line of women's shorts, women's jeans, women's skirts, women's jackets & more provide you with a stylish wardrobe all year round. From denim skirts for summer barbecues to jean jackets for windy fall days, Lee keeps you going.
- MORE THAN DENIM: You already trust Lee to bring you your favorite jeans, but we're so much more than that! Lee makes quality, stylish jeans, khakis, dresses, skirts, jackets, belts, shorts, shirts, uniforms and more! Fill your closet with Lee quality.
- QUALITY OVER QUANTITY: For over 100 years, Lee has been making quality, dependable denim. We'd rather sell one quality garment than 100 inferior ones. If you're looking for quality jeans, shorts, jackets, skirts, overalls, belts or uniforms, look to Lee.
- 100% Cotton; Imported; Machine Wash Rise: 10.75 inches, leg opening: 16.25 inches, n: short: 29 inches, medium: 31 inches, long: 33 inches; Product measurements were taken using size 10. Please note that measurements may vary by size
Shop Similar Blouse
- Non-stretch fabric with regular fitting, a little bit sheer for light colors.
- Pair perfectly with pants, leggings, skirts, shorts and so on.
- Fashion and classical style. Suitable for casual, brief, active occasions. It can be worn like a long sleeve or half sleeve top.
- Small=US size 4-6. Medium=US size 8-10. Large=US size 12-14. X-Large=US size 16-18. XX-Large=US size 20-22. Please refer detailed size chart in the picture before ordering.
- Care Instructions: Ironing might needed after machine wash, hand wash recommended.
How to Wear Cuffed Mom Jeans
Bring on the Comfy Style
As well as wearing mom jeans on a night out, you can actually style them for a casual look. too. If you’re just hanging with your friends or going on a city trip, they’re a great on-trend option.
If you’re wearing them in a casual setting, you can definitely play more with color. I am loving how himani1015 on Instagram has styled her light blue mom jeans.
She has belted her jeans to cinch in her waist and tucked in an army green patterned sweater. By tucking in her sweater, it draws your eye to her waist and creates an hourglass figure.
As well as the knitted sweater, she has coordinated her beanie to match her bag. She has opted for a mustard color that would look amazing in Fall!
Wearing the white combat boots really does make this look stand out. The white boots are so eye-catching and make the look a lot more fun and casual. If you’re not into the white, you can totally rock this look with black boots, too.
Shop Similar Jeans
- 15% Polyester, fabric has no stretch
- High waist, ripped distressed jeans, ankle length, tapered/carrot, side pockets, button fly denim jeans
- Boyfriend jeans will complements your curve well; Suit for travel, club, every night, casual daily wear
- Great to match with t-shirts, blouse and pair with ankle booties or sandals
- Please refer to the size measurement in image before ordering
I truly hope that you have found some outfit inspiration from my post today. I am seriously in love with all of the looks put together! Mom jeans can take you from basic to on trend as soon as you put them on.
If you’re scared to try them out, don’t be! They’re just a pair of jeans, and put together with any of today’s suggestions, you will not create a fashion faux pas.
Whatever look you’re going for, make that a casual Spring-time fit or a cozy, layered Winter look, you can style with mom jeans. Be creative and let me know what outfit you love the most! Which style will you try to recreate first?
Mom Jeans FAQ’s
Are mom jeans on trend?
Mom jeans are for sure back in style. Thanks to the 80’s/90’s these jeans are not going anywhere!
They are comfier than skinny jeans and can be dressed up or down. They’re an essential for anybody’s closet.
What are mom jeans?
Mom jeans offer a much more roomy fit than other styles of jeans. They are a relaxed style that can be worn day in, day out.
Folding up the bottoms of your mom jeans can make them more tapered if you prefer that look. If not, enjoy the wider leg!
Can you wear mom jeans to work?
This all depends on where you work. If you work a corporate job, then you may get away with a black pair of mom jeans. However, always double-check this with your manager or colleagues.
If you work in a more relaxed environment, definitely wear those mom jeans! I do recommend not wearing ripped mom jeans to work though. Ripped jeans should be for casual instances only, in my opinion.
I hope this post full of mom jeans outfit ideas has helped you embrace this trend this season! What do you think of the mom jeans trend? Do you like it?